Stink Bug Control Services In Alexandria VA
Miche Pest Control is a family owned and operated pest control company that provides residential & commercial stink bug control services in Alexandria VA. Our expert stink bug exterminators get rid of stink bug infestations quickly using combinations of highly effective pest management strategies to both eliminate existing stink bugs and prevent their return. Miche Pest Control has a 4.9 star rating and over 1,000 reviews online - call today or book online!
Stink Bugs Can Be Active Year Round In Alexandria
Stink bugs will typically start making their way indoors after the summer temperatures have peaked and autumn temperatures start setting in. In Alexandria VA, this is usually in mid-August or in September. They squeeze into the cracks and crevices around your home, looking for a warm place to overwinter.
After finding a place to overwinter, stink bugs may continue to remain active around the outside of the home until outside temperatures are consistently below 50 degrees. Around that point, stink bugs will enter diapause. Diapause is similar to hibernation; it slows down stink bugs’ metabolism, and they survive on energy and nutrients they stored during the warmer months in spring and summer.
Because stink bugs like to enter diapause while hiding in the walls of your warm home, they will sometimes exit diapause before winter is over. This usually happens on exceptionally warm days, but may be because the stink bugs were warmed and “activated” by the air that naturally flows inside the walls of the home. This is why it is common to see stink bugs inside the home during the winter months.
When winter is over and spring arrives, stink bugs will leave their hiding places in search of other stink bugs to mate with, and food sources to replenish the nutrients and energy they consumed during the winter. Stink bugs typically eat leaves, flowers, fruits, and crops, but can also feed on some other pests, like caterpillars. They are known to damage tomatoes and have caused major crop losses in orchards when left uncontrolled.
5 Ways To Prevent Stink Bugs From Entering Your Home Or Business In Alexandria VA
As evidenced by their name, stink bugs can emit an odor that can seriously ruin the mood. If you want to be diligent in your efforts to avoid stink bugs and prevent them from entering your property, there are some things you can do. Consider the following five tips when it comes to effective stink bug control:
- Eliminate access to food sources, properly store, and maintain a high level of cleanliness. Make sure to vacuum regularly and immediately dispose of the vacuum bag.
- Eliminate sources of excess moisture, fix leaky pipes and clogged drains, and install proper ventilation in moisture-rich areas.
- Keep outdoor lighting to a minimum, or replace outdoor light bulbs with yellow, insect-resistant bulbs.
- Replace and repair damaged screens in windows and doors, and be sure to install door sweeps, chimney screens, and attic vents.
- Seal off entry points using caulk, foam, or weather stripping in easy access areas, such as siding and utility pipes, behind chimneys, underneath wood fascia and other openings.
For year-round protection from stink bugs, look no further than the team at Miche Pest Control. We offer comprehensive stink bug elimination and prevention services that guarantee protection from these stinky intruders. Call us today to get started, or book online!
Alexandria Homeowners Guide To Avoiding Stink Bugs
Like with any pest, it's much easier to keep stink bugs out of your home instead of combating them after they've made it inside. To help you succeed in this, we've put together a list of handy stink bug prevention tips that include but aren't limited to the following:
- Seal off entry points: While true for every pest, but also stink bugs, if you seal all cracks, holes, and crevices with silicone caulk and other materials, you can better prevent stink bugs getting inside in the first place.
- Screen repair: If you have torn up screens or other structural items with holes, it's time to repair and replace them as needed. By doing so, you're removing one more point of entry.
- Lights off: Stink bugs are attracted to lights, so try keeping as many off as possible to limit how attractive your home is to this pest.
- Moisture reduction: Like all pests stink bugs need access to water to thrive. Eliminate water sources and consider dehumidifying your home if it's especially humid.
- Food sources: Stink bugs are happy to help themselves to your food items. Keep all unused food stored in sealed containers and out of reach.
- Landscaping: Start the fight far away from your home by using proper landscaping techniques like mowing, trimming the hedges, and more for your yard.
Don't let the stink bugs take over your home for a moment longer. Keep stink bugs at bay with Miche Pest Control! We'll have you stink bug-free in no time!
What All Alexandria, VA Property Owners Should Know About Stink Bugs
The first thing that comes to mind about stink bugs is their very unpleasant odor. This horrid smell comes from the defensive spray that they produce to protect themselves from predators. When they feel threatened, they emit a stinky chemical from the glands in their abdomen and release it as a spray that can reach several inches.
Stink bugs mostly invade during the fall, as they search for a place to overwinter during the cold season. They enter structures in large numbers, and once they infest, they can be very hard to control. Although they don’t pose any health risks, the smell is definitely something you want to avoid.
When it comes to stink bugs, remember never to squish them. If you crush them, they release their putrid odor, and all of that stinky chemical spray is released. Needless to say, don’t step on them either. If you want dependable stink bug protection throughout the year, contact us today. We’re highly skilled in exterminating and preventing these smelly intruders, and we’re ready to guard your property against the stink.
Quality Alexandria VA Stink Bug Control
Ensure your home, business, and loved ones are given a buffer against stink bugs with Miche Pest Control’s professional stink bug control in Alexandria VA. Our team has worked for years to develop a powerful approach to getting and keeping these nuisance pests out, making sure your home or business is totally stink bug-free. From direct applications to intelligent mitigation tactics, we are fully equipped to kick stink bugs to the curb.
Learn more by calling the team at Miche Pest Control today. Still have some questions to consider? Feel free to chat with one of our trained representatives.
Time To Protect Your Alexandria Home Against Stink Bugs
Regardless of the season, it's always a good time to protect your Alexandria home against stink bug invasions. Just a few stink bug prevention steps can equip you to take on pests long before they become a problem, and control their population sizes all year round.
Miche Pest Control suggests beginning with the following tips:
- Ensure that all cracks and gaps around the house are properly sealed. This prevents stink bugs from crawling into or through unsuspecting entry points.
- Eliminate sources of standing water in the home that may help stink bugs survive the winter. Fix leaky pipes, care for clogged drains, and otherwise fix drips and puddles.
- Keep vegetation away from the sides of the home. Without an easier access point, stink bugs will be less likely to invade your property.
For more stink bug prevention tips, or to get a full pest treatment for your Alexandria home, contact Miche Pest Control.
Alexandria is an independent city in the Commonwealth of Virginia in the United States. Located along the western bank of the Potomac River, Alexandria is approximately 7 miles south of downtown Washington DC.
Like the rest of Northern Virginia, as well as Central Maryland, modern Alexandria has been influenced by its proximity to the U.S. Capitol. It is largely populated by professionals working in the federal civil service, in the U.S. military, or for one of the many private companies which contract to provide services to the federal government. One of Alexandria's largest employers is the U.S. Department of Defense. Another is the Institute for Defense Analyses. In 2005, the United States Patent and Trademark Office moved to Alexandria, and in 2017, so did the headquarters of the National Science Foundation.
The historic center of Alexandria is known as Old Town. With its concentration of boutiques, restaurants, antique shops and theaters, it is a major draw for all who live in Alexandria as well for visitors. Like Old Town, many Alexandria neighborhoods are compact and walkable. It is the 7th largest and highest-income independent city in Virginia.
A large portion of adjacent Fairfax County, mostly south but also west of the city, has Alexandria mailing addresses. However, this area is under the jurisdiction of Fairfax County's government and separate from the independent city. The city is therefore sometimes referred to as the "City of Alexandria" to avoid confusion. Additionally, neighboring Arlington County was formerly named "Alexandria County" before it was renamed by the Virginia General Assembly in 1920 to reduce confusion with the city.
Arlington VA (6 miles), Washington DC (7 miles), Springfield VA (8 miles), Falls Church VA (9 miles), Hyattsville MD (12 miles), Bethesda MD (13 miles), Silver Spring MD (13 miles), Fairfax VA (14 miles), Woodbridge VA (15 miles), Upper Marlboro MD (16 miles), Bowie MD (20 miles), Rockville MD (20 miles), Herndon VA (22 miles), Laurel MD (23 miles), Manassas VA (23 miles), Gaithersburg MD (25 miles), Ashburn VA (29 miles), Columbia MD (29 miles), Annapolis MD (32 miles), Ellicott City MD (35 miles), Leesburg VA (35 miles), Baltimore MD (41 miles), Fredericksburg VA (41 miles), Frederick MD (46 miles)
Recent Blog Articles
Ever wonder what different types of sounds crickets make, and why crickets make the noises they do? Learn the answer to these questions and moreRead More
February 03, 2023
Nervous that carpenter bees can cause damage to your property? Learn how the pros at Miche Pest Control can eradicate these insects quickly.Read More