A Helpful Guide To Protecting Yourself From Dangerous Ticks In Maryland
November 07, 2022 - Ticks
If you have questions about what diseases are caused by ticks or natural tick prevention, keep reading. People and pets living in Maryland are vulnerable to tick bites year-round and during tick season. Know when to call a Maryland pest control service and how to prevent ticks around your home and yard.
How Common Ticks Get Around
Believe it or not, ticks cannot see and do not fly or leap out of trees to find a host. Instead, these crafty critters lay and wait to hitch a ride on humans and animals.
Ticks are a familiar presence in Maryland. Here are some of the common ticks that you’ll discover in our area.
- Brown Dog Tick (found year-round)
- Eastern Blacklegged Tick (spreads Lyme Disease)
- American Dog Tick
- Winter Tick (common on white-tailed deer)
- Rabbit Tick
Different species of ticks can pose different risks. While not all tick bites will transmit disease, it is important to be aware of the health concerns of ticks.
Ticks Are Known To Spread Many Dangerous Diseases
Maryland is a beautiful state with many natural parks and historical wooded areas, so knowing how to check for ticks and what ticks carry Lyme disease is critical. Be aware that various ticks in Maryland transmit different diseases, often spread through microscopic parasites. Ticks may spread the following:
- Anaplasmosis – It may cause fever, nausea, gastrointestinal distress, rash, and malaise.
- Babesiosis – Spread by the deer tick and may cause kidney failure, fever, fatigue, and rapid heart rate.
- Lyme Disease – Seek immediate attention as this may cause numbness, rash, fever, and memory loss.
- Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever – It may cause fever, rash, stomach pain, and vomiting. Seek help immediately.
- Alpha-Gal Syndrome (AGS) - This can cause people to develop a meat allergy.
Learn how to identify common ticks, how to prevent tick bites, and reduce the chance of contracting a disease. You can learn to identify ticks via their color, shape, and unique pattern behind the head.
Five No-Sweat Tips To Prevent Tick Bites While Outdoors
Obviously, avoiding venturing into areas where ticks may have high populations is critical. However, take preventative measures to reduce the chance of tick bites on family members and pets when outside.
- Make sure to apply tick repellant when going into areas where ticks live.
- Keep your skin covered when going outside. Wear tops with long sleeves and tuck pants legs into your socks.
- Wear light-colored clothing when venturing into wooded areas so that you can see ticks more easily.
- Inspect family members and pets for signs of ticks, their eggs, or bites after going outdoors.
- After going out into wooded areas or spaces with high grass and shrubbery, take a shower.
After enjoying time outdoors, change clothes and check to ensure no ticks hitched a ride on pets or family members. Remove any visible ticks as soon as possible.
The Best Way To Keep Ticks Away From Your Home And Yard
The most effective way to keep ticks off your property is with professional treatments. At Miche Pest Control, we provide tick control solutions to keep these potentially dangerous pests out of your yard and home.
We offer monthly tick control treatments between April and October, when these pests are most active. If needed, we will return to your property between regular visits free of charge. Contact Miche Pest Control today for effective tick control in Maryland.
Technician was on time, called before arriving- answered all my question and was kind and treated our place with care. I’ll definitely use the service for other properties and will recommend.