The Ultimate Spider Prevention Guide For Homeowners
November 25, 2022 - Spiders
Spiders are an all too common occurrence in many homes. Due to the higher levels of humidity, we are home to a number of species of spiders, some of which are more of a nuisance, and others that pose a greater threat to our well-being and that of our families.
Here we’ll discuss the spider species that you’re most likely to encounter in the area, the dangers that some of these species can pose, and a number of effective prevention tips for your home. If you require pest control due to a spider infestation, call the professionals at Miche Pest Control to get rid of spiders promptly and thoroughly.
Species Of Spiders That Can Be Found In Our Region
Our region is home to a large number of spider species. Some of these species that you may encounter in your home are:
- Black widow spiders: More common in northern Virginia, you should be vigilant here due to the dangerous nature of this species. These spiders are characterized by shiny black, round bodies.
- Jumping spiders: These spiders get up to one inch in length and have black, grey or brown coloring.
- Wolf spiders: The majority of this type of spider has a body that ranges between half an inch and nearly two inches in length. They have long legs and are often dark black with pale or yellow stripes. They are a very hairy variety of spider.
- Grass spiders: The color of the grass spider is similar to that of wolf spiders; however, the stripes are not as distinct.
If you think you may have an infestation of one of these four different kinds of spiders or one of a number of others common in the area, call Miche Pest Control. Our knowledge of spider pest control is vast and encompasses any and all species that you may have on your hands.
Some Spiders Are More Dangerous Than Others
Not all spiders are created equally. Some species of spiders are more of a nuisance than anything else. The common house spider’s webs are mainly a messy inconvenience. Other types of spiders that you may encounter, like the jumping spider or the wolf spider, are not generally considered a threat to people.
There are a number of what people think of as poisonous spiders, which are actually venomous. These spiders have particularly perilous venom that can harm you and your family. The black widow spider’s venom, for instance, attacks the nervous system. The symptoms of the black widow spider bite are:
- Numbness and redness at the site
- Stiff, sore muscles
- Breathing difficulty
Our area also is home to the brown recluse spider. While this species of spider will not search out people to victimize, they will bite people when they feel threatened. In the case of a bite from the brown recluse spider, symptoms can include nausea, fever, chills, and skin ulcers at the bite site.
If you have any questions about the dangers that these or any other spider species you may have encountered in your home pose, don’t take a chance. Call the pest control experts at Miche Pest Control today.
Five Naturally Effective Spider Prevention Tips For Around Your Home
While some species of spiders are primarily considered nuisance pests, others like the brown recluse spider and black widow spider pose serious dangers to you and your family. Regardless of the species, you don’t want your home overrun by spiders. That’s why it’s important to know some spider prevention tips. Here are five:
- Remove entry points into the home: Sealing cracks, weatherstripping, and replacing broken screens all help.
- Keep it clean: Spiders like dark, small places. Keeping things tidy and removing these small hiding places makes your home less of a target for spiders.
- Remove spider webs: This makes catching food more difficult for spiders.
- Remove other pests: Spiders primarily feed on small bugs. Eradicating these pests removes the spiders’ food source.
- Use natural repellents: vinegar and eucalyptus oil are two somewhat effective ways to get rid of spiders.
All of these tips make your home less accessible to spiders. These tips also make your home less hospitable to spiders, removing access to food and shelter.
Professional Pest Control Makes The Best Spider Control
There are a number of dangerous types of spiders that are found in the region. In addition to these species of spiders, there are also many nuisance spider types that are likely to find their way into your home. If you observe spiders in your home, don’t delay. Call the professionals at Miche Pest Control right away. We have experience in exterminating all types of spiders. We offer complete spider web removal and treatment, and will promptly take care of your spider control needs.
Technician was on time, called before arriving- answered all my question and was kind and treated our place with care. I’ll definitely use the service for other properties and will recommend.