How To Prepare Your Yard To Prevent Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes are a pest that we all can agree is just plain awful. They are annoying, leave uncomfortable bites, and can transmit disease. In warm and humid weather, these blood suckers can hang around in clouds, ruining your chances at a lovely afternoon outdoors. But if you follow these tips, you can protect your yard and your family against mosquitoes.
Avoid Standing Water At All Costs
Stagnant water is often the main cause of a mosquito infestation in your yard. Standing water often becomes a literal breeding ground for these insects. This happens because mosquitoes lay their eggs in water and their larvae form there.
You should check your yard and garden for anything that will collect water. Even the smallest of “puddles” can keep hundreds of mosquito larvae safe. Rain and watering the garden can cause water to collect in pots, fountains, pools, pits, and other hollow areas. If you have a swimming pool, make sure to use appropriate treatments for the water to keep it sanitary and deter these rather annoying insects.
If you find stagnant water that has been sitting for some time, it is best not to empty it right away. You want to consider treating the water first to eliminate mosquito larvae that may be hatching and growing if the amount of water exceeds a gallon or two. Never pour water with visible larvae out in the grass, even if there is only a cup or two of liquid.
Use Products That Eliminate And Fight Mosquitoes In Outdoor Spaces
There are many products on the market that you can use to kill off and repel mosquitoes. Some of the items that you can use in your yard to defend yourself are:
- Aerosol. Sprays can create a sort of forcefield around your body and the air around you. There are many different brands and formulas specified for adults, kids, and pets. You can also buy stronger formulas for areas that have denser quantities of biting insects. Always read and follow the instructions on these products.
- Anti-mosquito coil. These coils ignite and burn like incense. These coils include chemicals derived from natural sources that give off scents to keep mosquitos at bay. Using coils alone may not be enough to do the job, so use them in tandem with another repellent.
- Citronella candles. Citronella torches and citronella gel include formulas based on the citronella plant. The odor of the citronella plant is a commonly known deterrent for mosquitoes but is generally pleasant to people. Citronella candles also include oils and scents from other plants that blend together to ban bugs.
- Lanterns with insecticide. These lanterns are a nice addition to your outdoor space, as they repel bugs and offer light. Some lanterns act as bug zappers, while others emit scents that insects don't care for.
- Insecticides. There are many sprays and foggers that you can buy to apply to your yard and grass. Many attach to a water hose and allow you to cover the desired space with insecticides that will kill and/or make certain bugs head for the hills. There are options for many kinds of insects, including mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, and more. Pay close attention to the instructions and warnings on these products. Not all are safe for pets and small children.
Eliminate Mosquitoes On The Lawn And Plants
Where there is grass and lush greenery, there are also likely to be mosquitoes. If you love the look of grass but hate the bugs that come with it, you can consider an artificial lawn. But if you would like a less drastic approach, consider adding some insect repelling plants to your landscaping.
There are many plants that give off odors that are unpleasant to mosquitoes and other bugs. Some options include:
- citronella grass
- lemon balm
These plants are a great solution to repel mosquitoes and allow you to enjoy your outdoor spaces. Thankfully, most of these plants emit scents that most people find to be pleasant. If you have pets, be sure to make sure that any plant you add to your yard is safe for them too.
If you are facing a mosquito infestation that cannot be handled by store bought methods, give us a call. Our trained professionals are ready to help you get rid of pesky mosquitoes and other biting insects. Stop swatting at bugs and get back to enjoying your yard!
Get Rid Of Mosquitoes In DC, MD & VA With Miche Pest Control
Miche Pest Control is a top rated, family owned and operated pest control company that provides exterminating services for mosquitoes and more for homes and businesses in the greater DC, Baltimore, and Fairfax areas. Our expert technicians get rid of mosquitoes fast and keep them away, guaranteed. Miche Pest Control has a 4.9 star rating and over 1,000 reviews online - give us a call today!