Why Silverfish Invade Homes And How To Keep Them Out
November 11, 2022 - Silverfish
Silverfish, despite their name, aren’t a species of fish, but rather a wingless, silver-colored insect that is attracted to warm, high-humidity homes and can cause significant property destruction. If silverfish have taken over your home, now is the time to learn how to identify them, understand the issue with silverfish creeping around your home, discover the facts that attract them, and learn the trick to getting rid of silverfish in your home for good. If you are struggling with a silverfish infestation, Miche Pest Control provides pest control you can rely on to get rid of it safely and effectively.
How To Identify A Silverfish
Silverfish are fairly easy to identify because they are a startling, distinctive-looking pest with the following characteristics:
- Color: As their name indicates, silverfish have scales that are light to dark gray in color.
- Body: Silverfish have three body parts, two antennae, and three long tails in the back. They have a hard exoskeleton. Adult silverfish are about half an inch in length.
- Movement: Silverfish move much like the tail of a fish with a quick and fluid side-to-side movement.
- Nighttime activity: Silverfish are mostly nocturnal, coming out when members of your household are asleep.
If you suspect that you have been invaded by silverfish, it is important that you learn about the issues with these insects creeping around your home.
The Issue With Silverfish Creeping Around Your Home
Silverfish aren’t dangerous to humans, but they can cause many problems. First, they are often attracted to humid homes, which means that your home can have hidden leaks, or might attract other pests like dampwood termites. Also, they are destructive pests that can chew through wallpaper, books, etc. They can also get into your food supply, eating carbohydrate-rich foods like flour, oats, sugar, and more. If you have a few of these wingless insects, it is crucial that you exterminate them quickly before they turn into a full-blown silverfish infestation, and understand the factors that might attract them into your home.
Factors That Attract Silverfish Into Your Home
Some of the factors that can attract silverfish into your home include the following:
- Food: Silverfish love anything rich in carbohydrates. Keeping your flour, oats, sugar, and similar foods in tightly closed containers can help keep them away.
- Humidity: If your home has leaks that need fixing, a dripping sink, or a bathroom without proper aeration, now is the time to do a few repairs.
- Cracks in your home: Silverfish can come in through small openings. When it comes to controlling pests, it is always helpful to seal all cracks in walls and foundations, and make sure that the windows and doors close properly.
These precautions can help you get rid of silverfish naturally. If they are still present in your home despite this, it is time to learn about the trick to getting rid of silverfish in your home.
The Trick To Getting Rid Of Silverfish In Your Home
The best way to get rid of silverfish in your home is to hire professional pest control technicians who can determine why silverfish invaded your home and help you get rid of them safely. Give us a call today and see for yourself why we are one of the top-rated pest control companies in the region . Because silverfish are one of the most common household pests in the area, our team is trained to specifically deal with them with effective but safe silverfish treatments. Do not let your infestation grow even bigger, and let us put your silverfish problem behind you for good.
Silverfish are scaly, silver-colored insects that can cause significant property destruction. If they have taken over your home, Miche Pest Control can help you exterminate them and prevent them from coming back.
Always on time and communicative. Mr. Miche is a great person to have on our family team to keep our household working right!