How Common Are Mice In Lorton, VA?
One of the most frequent kinds of visitors that Lorton homeowners are bound to see on their properties is mice. These small rodents are always around; however, they are most likely to enter homes during the colder months, when conditions outside become unbearable. Mice may also enter homes if they catch a whiff of a leaky faucet or downspout, trash that’s piled up, or an excess of food. Because humans give mice everything that they need without even knowing it, a cycle of problems arises.
At Miche Pest Control, we are dedicated to providing the most reliable and safest mouse control that Lorton residents can find. We utilize meticulous inspections, sealing up entry points with professional exclusion, and setting exterior tamper-proof bait stations. In order to ensure that homes never encounter mouse problems, we check these stations on a routine basis. If any mice return between regular visits, we’ll re-treat properties until the problem is resolved. For more information on mouse control, contact Miche Pest Control today.
Four Problems Mice Cause In Lorton, VA
When mice gain access to Lorton homes, they are responsible for a slew of issues. Four of the most significant ones that they cause are:
- Illness and health risks. Through their urine, saliva, and fecal matter, mice can leave behind traces of the bacteria that spread salmonellosis, hantavirus, and tularemia. When these byproducts spread into the air they can also lead to asthma and allergies in certain individuals.
- Property damage. In order to keep their front incisors from overgrowing, mice will chew on anything they can find. This leads to them gnawing on walls, molding, clothing, electrical wiring, and other home items.
- Spread of other pests. Mice are one of the most common ways that parasites like ticks, mites, and fleas get spread throughout properties. These types of infestations can be particularly risky for the health of residents and their pets.
- Extensive nature of issues. Due to their reproductive habits, mice can have over 100 pups each year and produce a litter every few months. This means that the issues that homeowners see are usually far larger than they appear.
For protection from all of these issues and more, contact Miche Pest Control for mouse control today.
Guide To Preventing Mice In Lorton, VA
Mice invade Lorton homes and proceed to cause extensive damage to personal belongings, walls, and wires, while also spreading pathogens that are linked to serious illnesses. In order to keep these issues from occurring, try the following tips:
- Tend to crevices. Mice are able to sneak through openings the size of a pinky finger, so make sure that all cracks and openings are filled with either sheet metal, wire mesh, steel wool, weather stripping, or silicone-based caulk. There are very few openings that would not provide enough room for mice to enter.
- Fix water issues. In order to survive, mice need a source of water and they will find it anywhere. Be sure to always shut off faucets, tend to leaky pipes and downspouts, and ensure that all crawl spaces, basements, and attics are well ventilated.
- Keep things clean. In order to deter mice from properties, always clean up after spills and food residue, vacuum routinely, clear all clutter, and avoid letting the trash pile up.
- Store food properly. Mice are scavengers and they will eat human food and pet food alike, so make sure that all food and pantry items are kept in secure containers.
- Bring in the pros. The most reliable way to keep mice out of the home is with help from a local pest control professional.
To learn more about safe and effective mouse control, contact Miche Pest Control today.
Benefits Of Professional Mouse Control In Lorton, VA
When it comes to protecting Lorton properties from the risks of mice, one of the best steps that residents can take is working with a professional. Some of the top benefits are:
- Protection from health risks. Though small, mice are capable of spreading pathogens that lead to tularemia, hantavirus, and salmonellosis. Their fecal matter, saliva, and urine are also linked with allergic reactions and asthma attacks.
- Limited issues in the future. When working with a pest professional, exclusionary methods can be properly installed in order to get rid of current issues and keep future ones from cropping up.
- Mitigation of damage to property. Mice have front teeth that will grow uncomfortably long if they don’t chew on things constantly. This leads to mice chewing holes in walls, nibbling on electrical wires, which can cause house fires, and destroyed personal property.
- Understanding the entire scope. There is very rarely one mouse that has invaded a home due to their rapid reproductive habits. Mice are capable of having more than 100 pups per year because they have approximately one litter every couple of months. With help from a pro, you’ll be able to address the full issue rather than what’s on the surface.
For safe, effective, and reliable mouse control, contact Miche Pest Control today.
Lorton is a census-designated place (CDP) in Fairfax County, Virginia. Lorton is named for a village in the Lake District National Park, Cumbria, in England. Joseph Plaskett of the Cumbrian village settled in southern Fairfax County, running a general store and opening the Lorton Valley Post Office on November 11, 1875. Before the identity of Lorton, the commercial center was Colchester, and the spiritual and historical center of the community around which the leading citizens of the time revolved was Pohick Church, where George Washington and George Mason were at times members of the vestry.
Lorton is located in southern Fairfax County, bordered to the west by Laurel Hill, to the north by Newington, to the east by Fort Belvoir, to the southeast by Mason Neck, and to the southwest by Woodbridge in Prince William County. US Route 1 (Richmond Highway) and Interstate 95 pass through Lorton, leading northeast 15 miles to Alexandria and 19 miles to Washington DC, and south 34 miles to Fredericksburg.
Historic landmarks in the areas surrounding Lorton include Gunston Hall, George Mason's home; Belvoir, which was William Fairfax's home; the Market; and now the Fort Belvoir Army Corps of Engineers base and Cranford Church. Woodlawn Plantation and Mount Vernon, the latter being George Washington's home on the Potomac River, lie farther to the east.
Woodbridge VA (3 miles), Springfield VA (6 miles), Fairfax VA (11 miles), Alexandria VA (12 miles), Falls Church VA (13 miles), Arlington VA (14 miles), Manassas VA (14 miles), Washington DC (17 miles), Herndon VA (20 miles), Bethesda MD (21 miles), Hyattsville MD (23 miles), Silver Spring MD (23 miles), Ashburn VA (27 miles), Rockville MD (27 miles), Upper Marlboro MD (27 miles), Fredericksburg VA (30 miles), Gaithersburg MD (30 miles), Bowie MD (32 miles), Laurel MD (34 miles), Leesburg VA (34 miles), Columbia MD (40 miles), Annapolis MD (44 miles), Ellicott City MD (45 miles), Frederick MD (50 miles), Baltimore MD (52 miles)
Recent Blog Articles
April 15, 2022
The gigantic and flashy-looking Joro spider is the last thing you want to see around your home or business. However, they may not be as dangerous as they l...Read More
February 21, 2022
Green Pest Services, a sister company of Pointe Pest Control in Illinois, sells to PestCo Holdings, a Thompson Street Capital Partners company.Read More