Cricket Control Services In Silver Spring MD
Miche Pest Control is a family owned and operated pest control company that provides residential and commercial cricket control services for homes and businesses in Silver Spring MD and the surrounding areas. Our expert cricket exterminators get rid of cricket infestations fast, and work proactively to prevent crickets from coming back after they've been eliminated. Miche Pest Control has a 4.9 star rating and over 1,000 reviews online – call today or book online!
Cricket Removal in Silver Spring MD
Most active during the spring and summer months in the Silver Spring area, crickets are nocturnal insects that do most of their eating, mating and chirping at nighttime. When cooler temperatures arrive in the fall, more and more crickets will seek shelter from the cold inside homes, sheds, and other structures, so you'll want to be proactive in removing them from your home and preventing them from coming back.
General Facts about Crickets
- They have black or brown bodies measuring ½ to 1 ¼ inches long
- They have six legs and long, thin antennae
- Male crickets chirp to attract female crickets
- Baby crickets hatch around 15 to 25 days after mating
- Their diets consist of seeds, grass, and other insects both alive and dead
Do I Have Crickets?
While it’s only the male crickets that do all the chirping, this sound is still the most common way to identify a cricket infestation. If you’re noticing very small bite marks (no larger than 1 mm in size) around carpeted areas in your home, this may be another sign of a cricket infestation. Crickets are also known to chew on flowers, leaves, linens, and clothing, and may leave small droppings in and around your home.
Is There More Than One Type of Cricket?
The three types of crickets most commonly found in the Maryland area are field crickets, house crickets, and camel crickets.
What’s the Difference Between the Three?
Field crickets, as can be deduced from their name, tend to stay outdoors in fields and grassy areas. If field crickets do make their way inside, they are known to chew their way through fabrics.
House crickets can also be found outside in grassy areas but are usually found inside homes and commercial buildings where they seek shelter and food. House crickets also tend to be a bit smaller in size and have more of a lighter brown coloring to their bodies.
Camel crickets have an unusual humpbacked appearance with heads that are bent downward between their front legs. Their antennae are much longer than their bodies and their large hind legs make them very strong jumpers. Adults do not have wings and range in size from ½ to 1 ½ inches in length.
The Problems Crickets Bring To Silver Spring Homes
Nobody wants to find their garden or home riddled with bugs. Though their noise might be pleasant in small doses (and from far away), crickets can quickly go from a magical sign of summer to a creepy, obnoxious pest. At Miche Pest Control, we specialize in rooting out the source of the infestation and permanently getting rid of crickets in your house. If crickets are destroying your garden and your personal belongings, know that you don't have to compromise and live with them. Call Miche Pest Control today!
Are Crickets In Silver Spring Harmful To Humans?
The good news is that crickets are not harmful to humans. However, crickets are still capable of wreaking havoc in your yard and house in the following ways:
- Yard and garden damage: Crickets eat both plants and meat. When there is a heavy infestation of crickets in your yard, they quickly destroy your garden plants and grass by eating their way through it all, leaving nothing behind.
- Property damage: What you might not know about crickets is that they have powerful jaws and teeth. This allows them to bite through cardboard boxes, books, clothing, and carpeting, resulting in small holes in your personal belongings.
At Miche Pest Control, our technicians will identify all the things in your yard and home that attract crickets. This information helps us develop a cricket control plan that will continue to keep your home cricket-free long after we've performed treatment. Call us today!
How To Get Rid Of Crickets In Your Silver Spring Home
If you have a severe infestation, we recommend that you seek professional assistance when trying to remove them. However, there are some things that you can do on your own today to help prevent a cricket infestation in your Silver Spring home:
- Reduce areas of moisture: Crickets find wet, moisture-laden areas to be very appealing. One of the best ways to make your home less appealing to them is to keep your home free of damp areas.
- Yard care: Regularly mowing your lawn and weeding your garden (and picking up organic debris in general) is a great way to keep crickets from wanting to set up shop in your yard or garden.
- Wood piles: Crickets like to hide in piles of wood. If you are storing a woodpile near your house, consider moving it further away to keep the crickets from even going near your home in the first place.
The pros at Miche Pest Control have the tools you need to permanently get rid of an existing cricket infestation, and we will also help you prevent a new one from restarting. Don't try to take on these insects alone – let us help you today!
What Else Can I Do to Prevent Crickets from Coming Back?
Once we’ve gotten the crickets under control during your initial treatment, we recommend continuous quarterly treatment of the exterior of your home to prevent any crickets from returning. You can also prevent cricket infestations by:
- Regularly cleaning your home and yard
- Removing any potential cricket hiding spots, like piles of wood and mulch
- Removing dead plants from around your yard
- Sealing potential entry points around windows and doors, especially ones with screens
- Using a dehumidifier to remove moisture from your home in places like the basement
- Use yellow lights in your home instead of white lights, where possible
Let Us Help!
Miche Pest Control offers safe and effective treatment plans in the Silver Spring, Maryland area that are specifically designed to target, remove, and prevent crickets from nesting in and around your home. Give us a call today at (844) 211-7378 to schedule your initial pest control service and get those noisy crickets under control!
Silver Spring MD
Silver Spring is a census-designated place (CDP) in southeastern Montgomery County, Maryland, near Washington DC. Although officially unincorporated, in practice it is an edge city. Silver Spring is the fourth most populous place in Maryland, after Baltimore, Columbia, and Germantown, and the second most populous in Montgomery County after Germantown.
The downtown, located next to the northern tip of Washington DC, is the oldest and most urbanized part of the community. Since beginning a significant renaissance in 2004, many new mixed-use developments combining retail, residential, and office space have been built. Downtown is in turn surrounded by several inner suburban residential neighborhoods located inside the Capital Beltway.
Silver Spring takes its name from a mica-flecked spring discovered there in 1840 by Francis Preston Blair, who subsequently bought much of the surrounding land. Acorn Park, south of downtown, is believed to be the site of the original spring.
From west to east, Silver Spring is bisected by four major creeks: Rock Creek, Sligo Creek, Long Branch, and Northwest Branch. Each is surrounded by parks offering hiking trails, playgrounds, picnic areas, and tennis courts. On weekends, road closures in the parks facilitate bicycling.
Bethesda MD (4 miles), Hyattsville MD (5 miles), Washington DC (6 miles), Arlington VA (8 miles), Rockville MD (9 miles), Falls Church VA (11 miles), Laurel MD (12 miles), Alexandria VA (13 miles), Bowie MD (13 miles), Gaithersburg MD (14 miles), Springfield VA (16 miles), Columbia MD (17 miles), Fairfax VA (18 miles), Herndon VA (19 miles), Upper Marlboro MD (19 miles), Ellicott City MD (23 miles), Ashburn VA (25 miles), Woodbridge VA (26 miles), Annapolis MD (29 miles), Manassas VA (29 miles), Baltimore MD (30 miles), Leesburg VA (30 miles), Frederick MD (36 miles), Fredericksburg VA (53 miles)
Recent Blog Articles
Ever wonder what different types of sounds crickets make, and why crickets make the noises they do? Learn the answer to these questions and moreRead More
February 03, 2023
Nervous that carpenter bees can cause damage to your property? Learn how the pros at Miche Pest Control can eradicate these insects quickly.Read More