How To Identify Ants In Lorton, VA
Ants are a year-round issue for Lorton property owners, and each kind of ant causes its own series of issues. Whether it’s that they’re a nuisance, they attack properties, or they spread bacteria, ants are simply unwanted no matter the situation. Here are three of the area’s most common species of ant and how to identify them:
- Odorous house ants. This is the type of ant that many individuals see inside their homes. The odorous house ant is small, black or brown in color, and has three sets of legs.
- Red imported fire ants. Just as the name would suggest, the red imported fire ant is a reddish-brown color, has a stinger and bent antennae, as well as two mandibles. They are often spotted outside, and when their mounds are disrupted, they will sting.
- Carpenter ants. Perhaps one of the largest types of ants, the carpenter ant is black in coloring with bent antennae and no stinger. Seeing them come and go from areas of damaged wood is a giveaway to their identification.
For the ultimate protection from these species and others, contact Miche Pest Control today for more information on ant control that works.
Problems Ants Cause In Lorton, VA
While ants might seem like a small, harmless member of Lorton’s natural population, they can actually prove to give residents quite the headache. Above everything, they are a nuisance pest, and the most commonly encountered variety at that. The sight of a trail of ants inside a bathroom or kitchen is unwanted and can make residents feel very uncomfortable. That said, if odorous house ants get ahold of food, they are capable of depositing bacteria that lead to E. coli infections. Outside of the home, there are several species of ants that can cause another set of issues. Pavement ants tend to be more of a nuisance; however, they do attack the crevices and cracks found in cement and build their nests, which can be difficult to eradicate and rectify. In the case of red imported fire ants, when their mounds are interrupted or they feel threatened, these ants will bite en masse, which can lead to serious allergic reactions, like difficulty breathing, swelling, nausea, and fever. Lastly, the carpenter ant is known to cause property damage on par with termites. While they don’t eat through wood, they burrow in it, which can be just as costly to deal with. For reliable protection from these problems, contact Miche Pest Control for ant control today.
Three Things You Can Do To Avoid Ants In Lorton, VA
Ants can grow into a massive issue in your Lorton home seemingly overnight. In order to prevent this from happening, try the following three tips:
- Fix leaks. Ants require a water source to survive, so having a leaky faucet or hose is enough to attract them and keep them around. Tend to things like downspouts, gutters, bathtubs, toilets, and showerheads as well.
- Keep things clean. Maintaining a clean home is one of the most valuable steps that you can take in order to prevent an ant problem. This entails things like storing trash in a bin with a lid and taking it out regularly, disinfecting surfaces and sweeping, cleaning up after soap spills and juice spills alike, not allowing dirty dishes to stack up in the sink, and always keeping food in airtight containers.
- Secure your home. Ants are able to squeeze through very small openings around your home, so ensure that window screens are in good working order, install door sweeps where needed, and patch up cracks in your foundation with caulk.
At Miche Pest Control, we provide ant control as part of our quarterly pest control program because we know how easily these infestations can develop. With granular treatments and interior applications as needed, we’re able to keep this from being the case. For the most reliable ant control year-round, contact Miche Pest Control today
Why Every Home In Lorton, VA, Should Be Protected From Ants
As Lorton’s number one nuisance pest, ants can become an issue for local homes at any point throughout the year. Homeowners will have to work double-time in order to have a fighting chance at keeping these pests out of their homes. To start, ants are able to take advantage of the smallest openings in order to enter homes, so sealing up cracks and applying weather stripping without the help of a professional may only take residents so far. On the inside of a home, individuals would need to be meticulous in their habits, never allowing the trash to pile up, leaving dirty dishes in the sink, or forgetting to put leftovers away. It’s also crucial to tend to leaky downspouts, faucets, and other fixtures; however, sometimes residents may have moisture issues and not even know it.
When homeowners partner with Miche Pest Control for professional ant control, all of this strife and unfruitful effort goes away. Ant control is included in our quarterly pest control program because we know how persistent and invasive ants can be. With perimeter sprays, granular applications, and interior treatments as needed, we’re able to keep ants from invading homes throughout the year; we guarantee it. For more information on reliable ant control, contact us today.
Lorton is a census-designated place (CDP) in Fairfax County, Virginia. Lorton is named for a village in the Lake District National Park, Cumbria, in England. Joseph Plaskett of the Cumbrian village settled in southern Fairfax County, running a general store and opening the Lorton Valley Post Office on November 11, 1875. Before the identity of Lorton, the commercial center was Colchester, and the spiritual and historical center of the community around which the leading citizens of the time revolved was Pohick Church, where George Washington and George Mason were at times members of the vestry.
Lorton is located in southern Fairfax County, bordered to the west by Laurel Hill, to the north by Newington, to the east by Fort Belvoir, to the southeast by Mason Neck, and to the southwest by Woodbridge in Prince William County. US Route 1 (Richmond Highway) and Interstate 95 pass through Lorton, leading northeast 15 miles to Alexandria and 19 miles to Washington DC, and south 34 miles to Fredericksburg.
Historic landmarks in the areas surrounding Lorton include Gunston Hall, George Mason's home; Belvoir, which was William Fairfax's home; the Market; and now the Fort Belvoir Army Corps of Engineers base and Cranford Church. Woodlawn Plantation and Mount Vernon, the latter being George Washington's home on the Potomac River, lie farther to the east.
Woodbridge VA (3 miles), Springfield VA (6 miles), Fairfax VA (11 miles), Alexandria VA (12 miles), Falls Church VA (13 miles), Arlington VA (14 miles), Manassas VA (14 miles), Washington DC (17 miles), Herndon VA (20 miles), Bethesda MD (21 miles), Hyattsville MD (23 miles), Silver Spring MD (23 miles), Ashburn VA (27 miles), Rockville MD (27 miles), Upper Marlboro MD (27 miles), Fredericksburg VA (30 miles), Gaithersburg MD (30 miles), Bowie MD (32 miles), Laurel MD (34 miles), Leesburg VA (34 miles), Columbia MD (40 miles), Annapolis MD (44 miles), Ellicott City MD (45 miles), Frederick MD (50 miles), Baltimore MD (52 miles)
Recent Blog Articles
April 15, 2022
The gigantic and flashy-looking Joro spider is the last thing you want to see around your home or business. However, they may not be as dangerous as they l...Read More
February 21, 2022
Green Pest Services, a sister company of Pointe Pest Control in Illinois, sells to PestCo Holdings, a Thompson Street Capital Partners company.Read More