How To Spot Fleas In Fairfax Station, VA
One of the biggest issues that the fleas in Fairfax Station pose is that they are nearly invisible without the assistance of a magnifying glass or a strong pair of glasses. That said, there are a few key features that will set them apart from other parasites like ticks, mites, and bed bugs. Fleas are flat, shaped like a teardrop, and have a small head that is distinguishable from the rest of their body. This characteristic sets them apart from other parasites that are a singular shape. Additionally, fleas are light brown to amber in color and have a translucent appearance. They also have six sets of long, thin legs, which allows them to jump great distances. Perhaps the easiest way to spot a flea is by noticing something jumping off the floor, as their location is the thing that gives fleas away the fastest. Because fleas are hard to spot and are out for blood, the best form of protection from them is professional flea control from Miche Pest Control. Contact us today to learn more about these services.
Are Fleas In Fairfax Station, VA, Dangerous?
Though they are remarkably small, the fleas in Fairfax Station have the ability to cause a significant amount of damage. The members of the household that they are particularly problematic for are beloved cats and dogs. The best first step to take in their protection is by consulting a veterinarian about round-the-clock flea and tick prevention. As a parasite, it’s a flea's primarily objective to feed off of the blood of mammals in order to survive. Once a flea has latched onto pets, it can feed for nearly two and a half consecutive hours. The primary issue that this leads to is anemia, but it can also display as lethargy, hair loss, and skin infections. If fleas aren’t dealt with, these issues can continue to spiral out of control.
Though fleas are less interested in humans, they will still bite and feed, which can leave individuals with secondary skin infections like impetigo. In order to keep fleas out of the house, turn to Miche Pest Control for flea control. We apply both adulticide and larvicide in order to break the lifecycle of fleas and provide homeowners with immediate relief from flea problems. To learn more about our flea control process, contact us today.
Guide To Avoiding Fleas In Fairfax Station, VA
Fleas are potentially very dangerous for residents of Fairfax Station and their pets. In order to avoid fleas and the issues they cause, try the following tips:
- Tend to landscaping. There are several factors that can make a yard unappealing to fleas, which include mowing the grass often, avoiding overwatering the lawn, removing all leaf piles and tree branches, and trimming back all trees that could be creating too much shade.
- Treat pets. For residents who have pets, it’s important to consider professional assistance from a veterinarian with regard to year-round flea and tick prevention.
- Limit other pests. Some of the other most common hosts for fleas are rodents and wildlife, so limit their populations around properties by storing garbage securely, turning on motion sensor sprinklers, and using night lights.
- Check yourself. Locals can pick up fleas while spending time in areas of dense vegetation and tall grass, so applying an EPA-approved product like DEET and performing a thorough flea check before returning home are imperative.
- Inspect secondhand items. Similar to bed bugs, fleas can fester deep within upholstered items like couches, chairs, and mattresses. Prior to bringing any of these items home, check them thoroughly for pest activity and ask about their previous whereabouts if possible.
For more information on flea control, contact Miche Pest Control today.
Why Everyone In Fairfax Station, VA, Should Consider Flea Control
Fleas are one of the most persistent pests that can plague a Fairfax Station home and the issues that they cause are severe. As parasites, fleas get around by way of hitchhiking. This means that they find a host, which is often wildlife or rodents, and go for a free ride onto local properties. Fleas can also very easily attach themselves to household pets at the dog park or residents while they’re on a hike. This scenario for transportation brings fleas directly into a property; however, when they get spread by skunks or mice, there is even less control in containing their spread. Once fleas take up shelter in local homes, they proceed to lay sacs that are filled with many eggs. This is a problem because they are often lodged deep inside upholstered items, rugs, carpets, mattresses, and dog beds. Getting control of a flea problem can thus become very difficult, only creating bigger issues in the meantime. While fleas are living inside a home, they continue to wreak havoc on the health of pets and people, with their ability to feed off of warm blood for more than two consecutive hours. To receive the most secure form of flea control, contact Miche Pest Control today.
Recent Blog Articles
April 15, 2022
The gigantic and flashy-looking Joro spider is the last thing you want to see around your home or business. However, they may not be as dangerous as they l...Read More
February 21, 2022
Green Pest Services, a sister company of Pointe Pest Control in Illinois, sells to PestCo Holdings, a Thompson Street Capital Partners company.Read More